Art versus Trump Roundup
There have been a number of posts from fine artists and artists' groups about how to respond to the Trump administration. I included a few links below one of my own posts recently, and thought it could be informative to share even more.
Sharing "Art Vs Trump" is far more preferable than the inevitable "Trump Vs Art" post that is no doubt ahead of us.
- Illma Gore: 'If anyone is going to be threatened by a small penis, it's Trump', Illma Gore, from last May, Guardian. Recounting the hollow threats from the Trump team to her nude painting of Donald Trump, and her subsequent assault by a Trump supporter. Make sure to visit her site for more Trump and Americana fine art images.
- Ageist and body-shaming Trump statue falls short as art and satire, by Murray Whyte, Guardian. Whyte argues that the naked Trump statues fail to show the emperor-elect with no clothes. It's interesting to compare this piece to Gore's explanation of her naked Trump painting in the previous link above.
- Here’s What Artists Have to Say About the Future of America Under Donald Trump, by Sarah Cascone, Artnet News. Including Barbara Kruger, Shepard Fairey, Adam Pendleton and more.
- Trump-Inspired Works Sell Quickly At Art Basel Miami Beach, by Kathryn Tully, Forbes
- What It Means To Be An Artist In The Time Of Trump, Priscilla Frank and Katherine Brooks, Huffington Post. Another round-up of artists' reactions to the election.
- How the Art World Can Change for the Better During the Trump Years, Caroline Woolard, Hyperallergic. Woolard calls for dismantling white supremacy in the fine art world.
- What Can Artists Do to Oppose Trump? Adam Kirsch, Slate. Kirsch brings up the sobering likelihood that visual artists are likely powerless, but exhorts us to try anyway.
- Don't Close the Studio Door, Glendon Mellow, Symbiartic on Scientific American. In which I tell science artists of all kinds that it is ok to continue to work. If your work was important before the election, it's important now.
- Stop Saying Art Will Flourish Under Trump, Glendon Mellow, Symbiartic on Scientific American. Railing against the idea that suffering under Trump will make better art. It won't.
- Street Artist Delivers Powerful Message To White America, Priscilla Frank for Huffington Post on art by Tatyana Fazlalizadeh.
- Artists may also wish to submit to this show:
- These Sexist Trump Quotes on Women's Bodies Speak Truth to Power in Power's Own Words, Joe Berkowitz with photography by Aria Watson, FastCo Create